(English) Merge Excel spreadsheets with common columns

Aquestra entrada només està disponible en English.

About johnny

Computers have interested me since I can remember and conveniently I studied computer science. I also enjoy performing in a local amateur theatre group and cycling. This is where I post solutions to problems I've had in the office or any other project, hopefully clearly enough to refer back to in the future.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to (English) Merge Excel spreadsheets with common columns

1. Mark Pajak says:

Hi

I am having the same issue, having read the same 10 year old article. I have two sets of data that I need to merge into one report. Both are comming from the same database, but being extracted from different view tables, or modules - even though the source data lives in the same place. I cant quite get it to work yet as the field names that would become the primary keys are different so excel wont treat them as one column of values, or at least it is protesting!

I am sure that this way of working is not logically the right way to do it - but somehow this is what I need to do!

2. netbook user says:

Wow, thank you for the great tutorial, I managed to deal with two Excel tables in a flash.

3. Rowena says:

I had the same problem several years ago and its cropped up again today.

The solution last time was to downloaded a free trial of one of the add-in tools. It worked a treat and was very quick and logical to use. Trouble is now its expired and I can't remember what it was called!

Thanks for sharing your work around - I'll give this a try if I can't find the add-in

4. diego says:

Workes on excell 2000.

Yes, I still use this version...

Thx for thearticle.

5. Ranjani says:

Awesome...very nice article...Thank you!

6. Rick says:

If you have a lot of columns this won't work b/c of limits in Query.

7. TerryWa says:

Rick's suggestion worked for me: "Open Access, Import the Excel sheets into Access tables and do the joins in an Access query. Then export the results of the query back to Excel." I've been downloading warranty info from Dell for hundreds of machines into one file. The information was keyed on the Service Tag/Asset Tag/Serial Number, but it didn't have the computer name associated with the Service Tag. I created a WMI Query for SCCM 2012 to create a list of computers having a Service Tag. I used Access to create a relationship between the two imported files, then 'Query Design' to create an 'inner join' on the Service Tag.

8. Leonard says:

Here are some other options:

"When clicking “Next” the Wizard complained about not being able to join the tables itself and they had to be manually joined." When you get this error, you can also click "Ok" and then click and drag the field that you want to equate (email) from one Defined Field list (emailall) to the other (emailshort) in the window above the preview.

Or you can continue with the SQL button suggested by Johnny and use a where clause instead of the INNER JOIN; that is WHERE emailall.email = emailshort.email;

9. Nigel says:

Just found this!!
    Life saver. Pretty painless when you know how.
    Followed Leonards suggestion and just dragged the columns to create the query; and had to add a distinct clause to remove duplicates, not caused by incorrect joins; but it worked fine.

Thanks.

Deixa un comentari

L'adreça electrònica no es publicarà Els camps necessaris estan marcats amb *

Podeu fer servir aquestes etiquetes i atributs HTML: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>